Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Painting #1 - Tootsie Pop Tribute

12x12 Oil on canvas
August 20, 2007 : Week 1
I thought a fitting first painting would be a tribute to Justin Clayton's Red Tootsie Pop... I first spotted his painting on ebay a couple weeks ago and it caught my eye and  I tried to buy it on e-bay, and I ended up losing the bid...Shux - I wanted the painting so badly, that when I lost the bid, I decided to create my own. Not quite the original but...

Here is my attempt at a Blue Tootsie Pop. The name of the game in my mind is to just get started - so whatever inspires me is fair game. Gotta start somewhere!


Here is a snap of the tootsie pop I used to set up my still life. I shone a big lamp over top to get the nice shadows. It took me 4 hours to finish the painting and I still had time to make dinner and get the laundry done. I am a little rusty but with practice I know I will get better...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

Kristin said...

I just found your blog Mar, it's fantastic! I love this painting (well all of them actually), but I'm a huge fan of the tootsie sucker too. Good luck working up to 52 paintings, great idea.

Kristin