Saturday, June 14, 2014

Nude Study

Wanted to try something new. Was looking at this art book and came across some of Edwin H. Holgate's nude painting. I was instantly intrigued and wanted to play too! It's not easy to find a nude model to sit there for you... so I guess my option was to stage it myself. I got out the camera, set up the self timer (yes a bit like a selfie! ha ha but I figured for the sake of art I am allowed...) I waited for the lighting to be right with a bit of sun shining in the window, and got a few picts as my source material. I  know it's not the same as having a live model but sometimes you just gotta wing it...

Anyhow here is what I ended up with. It was fun and challenging to be working with the human form again. I used to do it more in art school, but somehow outside of that venue, it's harder to allow yourself to use it as a subject matter. I used lots of paint here! Trying to be a little braver with that...

Nude Study, 9x12 Oil on Birch Panel

No comments: