Friday, February 05, 2016

Num Ti Jah Lodge - Lake Louise, Alberta

The Historic and Beautiful - Num Ti Jah Lodge
This past fall in the last week of September I had the most amazing experience of being an Artist in Residence at the NTJ Lodge with my painting buddy Justin Beckett. The lodge is located on Hwy 93 about 30 min from Lake Louise on the most amazing stretch of highway from Banff National Park to Jasper. It's actually one of my favorite places to go visit. The charm and vintage feel of the Lodge and Jimmy Simpson cabin bring you back to a simpler time. Hot running water was not always available, and the furniture ranges between antique and weathered, things are not pristine and perfect. However, each evening when I sat down for dinner - there was a crisp clean table to greet me, fashioned with a fabric table cloth and nice quality wine glass for me to sip my Pinot Nior out of. A roaring fire place warmed the dining room each night and all the patrons flushed faces smiled from the fresh air and happy tired that coincides with spending the day outside. Rugged but refined in all the right ways. Paradise.

Over the last few years, I have got to stay a few times and each time I go back I am reminded of how much I appreciate the beautiful trees, mountains, and beauty all around me. How feeling in touch with nature as a human can remind us that we are so lucky to be a part of it, to see it and feel it, even though we are here visiting for barely a blip of time, that these old peaks have been here for many many lifetimes and will continue to be there to greet my great-great grandchildren or your great-great grandchildren... It actually blows my mind each time I get to sit there and paint quietly thinking of the profiles and shape of each peak and mountain face. What kinds of things have you seen Mr. Mountain? What kinds of people have you known?! How excited and amazed each person that appreciated you must have been... Oh beautiful mountain with the glorious pink granite or grey granite with scars of minerals dripping and weaving themselves into your beautiful skin and crevasses...

Staying at the cabin called 'The Ram'.
Named after Jimmy Simpson's Passion for Ram Hunting. The peak behind the cabin was also named after Jimmy Simpson who was the orginal settler and builder of this cabin and the Num Ti Jah Lodge.


View of Jimmy Simposon through bed side cabin window
I could not believe my eyes when I would wake up in the morning and see this view! I was gobsmacked on a regular basis. The sun shown for us each day. Our hearts and creative cups were full.

The Ram - 9x12 oil on birch
St. Nicohlas Peak - 9x12 oil on linen

Jimmy Simpson & Bow Glacier - 9x12 oil on birch
The Ram & Num Ti Jah - 9x12 oil on birch
Side of the Road - 9x12 oil on birch
Painting at Bow Lake
Beautiful Morning Light at Num Ti Jah


No comments: